Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Maybe if I was Laura Ingalls Wilder.....

When Savers had their big President's Day sale, my daughter and I found some great deals.  The granddaughter has a closet full of clothes and she isn't even here yet!  I have to admit-I was pretty happy when we found out she was having a girl. It is terrible to say-but they are so much more fun to dress up!

I also lucked out. That pile of clothes I posted last week has several things I am working on now.

One item I picked up was a long brown skirt. Between the regular price and the 50% deal they had that day, it only cost me about $2. I love skirts and dresses-I would wear them all the time if I could find a bunch that fit me well. My shape looks funny in a lot of them, so when I find one that fits, I pick it up.



I liked this one as it has some seaming down the front and back-helps with my curves. I was not, however, digging the long length and the hem. It looked like they used an overlock stitch just on the edge.

I cut about 7 inches off the bottom. I then laid the bottom portion I had cut off on top of the shortened skirt to line up the seaming so the curve of the hem would be correct.


It now hits at a more flattering knee length. I pouches at bit at my stomach, but that is because of my tummy-working on that :)


The hardest thing I'm dealing with is what to pair the skirt with. I have it with my beige owl sweater above, but I would like to find something a little brighter to wear-but I never know what color I should wear with brown.  Any suggestions?


I also mentioned that I attempted my first blind hem. I tried it on this skirt. I think it turned out pretty good for my first attempt. It didn't catch in a few places so I used some fusible hem tape. I think it may have happened because I didn't iron the hem first. I was apprehensive to iron it first in case it didn't lay right or if it would pull while hemming. Learned my lesson-iron it flat first.

Off to watch the 100th episode of Glee and watch the snow fall. It is the winter that won't end.

No comments:

Post a Comment