Sunday, March 2, 2014

First Refashion. And it's a failure.

One day in January, my baby Mama daughter and I were hitting up a local mall looking for some clearance sales to see if we could find some clothes to get her through her pregnancy. She is a little over 5' 8" tall and about a size negative 2. She DID NOT get that from her Mama! I had just found a couple of blogs that were about refashioning and when we went into Old Navy, I found a cream and light brown t-shirt on clearance for $2.50.  I had read a post about making a knit shirt into a cardigan, so I scooped that baby up. I also found 2 dresses and a blouse. $34 bucks later, I was walking out with ideas swirling in my head.

At this point, I hadn't thought about recording my purchases or even starting a blog.

I have no before pics.

Women's Perfect Tees
It is similar to this, only it is cream and brown.

I folded it in half, cut up the middle front. I Cut out some satin material in to strips, sewed and pressed and then took strips of a type of tulle, burnt the edges with a flame so the wouldn't fray and sewed them on.


It looks horrible. I didn't cut the satin long enough to compensate for the knit stretching a bit.  The ruffly tulle didn't turn out the same width, so one side sticks out way too far. It is heavy, so the front flips open and yo can see the horrible sewing job.

I am going to pick the satin and tulle off and see if maybe I can use material to make a bias tape to add at least a little interest to it.

Failure is how we learn. Man, I have a lot to learn.

Tami


No comments:

Post a Comment